Thursday, May 28, 2009

A Tip from a friend and Ring Daddy #8

Yesterday afternoon Gene Patrick and I hit a stretch of beach that was so dismal that Gene called it "pitiful". I told it him it didn't come up to being pitiful. Last evening I got a call from Dwayne Patrick, yep, another Patrick and he told me he had gotten a gold wedding band at blah, blah, blah. Well, blah blah blah is not too far of a drive from the campground so I headed there this morning, long before the sun showed up.

I have only hunted this area a couple of times in the last ten years so I didn't know where to park. I passed the blah blah blah and didn't see the parking lot. I went on down a long ways and finally parked. Now the question is which detector to take, the Sov with the 10" coil or the Excaliber with the 8" coil. I debated and grabbed the Excaliber.

Out on the beach I was not seeing any holes and started digging pulltabs and shell fragments. The shell fragments came in with the renourishment sand. I kept moving down the beach toward blah blah blah. It seemed that blah blah blah was a long way down the beach. More pulltabs and shell fragments. I was cussing Dwayne. I was starting to hate hearing the signals because it was all junk. I saw some small depressions with water in them and ran through them but got nothing. "Why, that no good Dwaye."

I went over a little hump in the beach and suddenly I was looking at a hole in the surf...a fairly deep hole.

I waded in and got a nickle, then a quarter, then a penny, then it was targets everywhere. Shells in the scoop and that dark grey sand that means you are where you need to be. I start feeling better about things. And the targets kept coming. I got a little foil sound and smiled...maybe a thin gold ring. Nope, but it was a small gold charm. Alright!! More coins and at last I am looking at a gold class ring in the scoop. Now, I am excited!

Maybe I can get another one. The lifeguards start putting out the chairs so I know it is 8:00. I need to be back to the parking lot before nine, when you have to pay. I am swinging and the tide is rising. At last a wave goes over my head. I get out and hike back to the parking lot. I make it back with 15 minutes to spare.
Here is the mess. Eight sinkers, $2.28 in change.

And here is the class ring. 13 grams. The gold charm to the left of the ring above is 1.3 grams.


I called Dwaye and thanked him for the tip. This was the most fun detecting I've had this year. Finally a real hole! It seems like it has been at least six months since the last time I was in a real honest to goodness, filled with treasure, hole.

It is my daughters birthday so I will not make the evening low tide...but I will definitely be back at blah blah blah tomorrow morning before the sun comes up!

No comments: