Friday, January 2, 2009

Gold...but not for me...

Happy New Years!!! I know, I am a day late. Yesterday Jason from Tenn. and David from MB and I plundered the beach. Well, not exactly plundered. The beach is far too sanded in for any real plundering.
Jason had a new monster coil, 15" x 18" I believe, on an E track. I was impressed on how light it was.

David had his Garrett Mark II.

And I was armed with my Excaliber and wetsuit. I had seen a couple of potential holes in the surf on the last day of the year and cussed because I was not in my wetsuit.

I jumped in the first hole and got one can. Ran into Rick and we discussed how badly the beach was sanded in.

So there were four of us, a small army, plundering, swinging on a cool sunny day, the first day of the year.

I picked up a couple of pennies and some pulltabs on the beach before I got to the next hole. That hole was not deep enough and I ended up with a can bottom and one pulltab from the surf.

When I got out of the water David was showing a nice little gold chain. He put it on the sand and neither Jason or I could get a beep. Jason made some adjustments and got the smallest of signals. David let me use his Garratt and I could get a signal at 2 or 3" above the chain.

So the Minelabs lose to the Garrett. Hmmm.

Halfway back to the car I had a thought. I yelled over at David, "When I used my PI I would have to dig bottlecaps at 20". Do you have to dig bottlecaps with that thing?"

David smiled, "Yep."
So, I lost to David's PI. And I also lost to Jason and his monster coil. I don't know how Rick ended up doing.
The next time you think your detector is better than someone else's and have that smug superior feeling, get ready to get beat. Congratulations David on a fine find!!! I know I would have never found it.
David is putting together the 2009 Treasure Expo here in MB. Check it out at www.treasureexpo.com

No comments: