Saturday, January 31, 2009

Sunrise Pics and Man vs The Sea

Yesterday morning I hurried to the beach in hopes of some good sunrise pictures and never snapped a shot. It was heavily clouded and the sun rose somewhere out there beyond the veil of gray. The MB maintenance folks showed up with a huge dozer and began digging a channel from Withers Swash out to the ocean. They wanted to divert it from taking the sand out from in front of the motels. I watched for half an hour while the dozer tried to reroute the stream.

This morning I jumped on the bicycle to capture the elusive sunrise. I was not disappointed.












This morning I was surprised. Two low tides and the channel that the city of Myrtle Beach had dug was gone. Yep, filled in. Did we just pay to have someone dig this channel yesterday? We sure did! Is all the work gone? Well, if you look at the next pic you can barely see where the channel was.



You can see that the water totally ignored the wishes of Myrtle Beach. Amazing how we think we can rule the sand and the sea. Here is the water back in the original trough as it esses out to the sea.


Now, if only we would get a real storm, a noreaster. So far we have not had any wind this winter. None. All it has done is sand in the beach and the surf area.

At least it has given me some time to write on my surf book.

1 comment:

David Lemley said...

Great pictures Jim and I always like reading your blog