Saturday, January 17, 2009

Ice Skating at MB....

It was 18 degrees this morning in Myrtle Beach. I think last year we had one morning of 19. I spent most of the day trying to make words appear on my screen as I worked on my surf book. This afternoon I took my bicycle and rode down to check for mail at the Post Office. As I came back into the campground I noticed a skater on the waterway.


The heron was stepping gently, he seemed uneasy on the ice. Long ago in a land far, far away when I was very young we would ice skate on Lollypop Pond in Denver, Colorado. Often you could see through the new ice, a window into the waters below, and see fish. The heron looked as though he too could see the fish but was puzzled by not being able to get at them.

So what does this have to do with hunting the surf? Everything. The heron is the hunter and today the dynamics of his world changed. Where everyday he snatched small fish from the waters he will have to hunt elsewhere or wait until the ice melts.

The heron and I, we are hunters.

Myrtle Beach has changed dramatically in the past year. The renourishment has put six feet of new sand on the beach and mother nature has added some more lately. The beach is beyond sanded in. I too am faced with questions much like the heron. Where can I hunt to find the gold? Myrtle Beach is dead as far as detecting goes.


Why do I linger here. I should move...move to where the beaches are white and the breezes are warm. And I may.

Today the heron seems to be enjoying the different world and in a day or two the ice will be gone, the waterway will be a place for him to hunt.


We are hunters.

No comments: