Tuesday, October 7, 2008

At least I had a chance....

This mornings low tide came early and the sunrise keeps coming later. I put on my wetsuit, the first time this fall. I'm out early to see the gloaming, the loss of the night and the beginning of the day. Yesterday as I walked I saw some holes in the surf. And yet, when I see these I question whether they are deep enough to have targets.
I waded into the first one, nothing. The second one, nothing. The third one, nothing. Should I just go to the house? The fourth one looked bigger, perhaps deeper. The wind was coming out of the NE at a good clip, pushing some fair size waves over the sandbar. I wade out further and finally a target. A very silvery junk ring with a touch of rust. Oh well, at least it is a target. Then a few coins. Then a few more. Then I wade into the chest deep, raging current and there are more targets...but I can't stay put and the scoop will not cooperate. The waves are pummeling me, the current pushing with the force of a locomotive. After fifteen frustrating minutes in the washing machine of the Atlantic I move to calmer water...and less targets. I spot another hole and give it a shot. A few more targets.
At last the majority of the waves are going over me. People stop and stare. I call it.
Two junk rings and a junk (Mexican) necklace. As I detect down the beach I find a fossilized horse tooth. These are from the Fossilized Horse Tooth Era. At least I had a few targets this morning. I had a chance at a gold ring...and that's all I really want. Just a chance.

The big rusty blob in the upper left looks like a battery..but it seems too big. I don't think I will hit it with my hammer to break the stuff off. It might be something left over from WWII and if I smack it, it might end up disturbing the campers in the KOA campground.

No comments: