Saturday, September 6, 2008

Ring Daddy #86 and TS Hanna

TS Hanna pummeled MB hard from 11:30 till about 12:30 making Diana's trailer roof rumble. And then it got quiet for twenty minutes and then a large gust rattled the roof but with a different rumble. Then it was intermittent gust rumblings. I could tell the wind was from a different direction. I slept fitfully and was glad when 5:30 came so I could get up. The rain and the wind was gone, the clouds sprinted across the late night time sky going north. At 6:15, in the predawn darkness, I left the car and headed thru the dunes to the beach. Something was wrong. I had to walk up hill through the opening in the dunes. The dunes were massively sanded in. I started chuckling as I got on the beach. There in the dark was one of the boxes used by the lifeguards and it was half buried in sand. The beach chairs were buried in sand. I switched on the Excaliber and wandered back and forth to the low tide line. Nothing. Not a peep. Hanna had done its damage...it had sanded in the beach, as sanded in as I have ever seen. Mountains of new sand. Hanna had accomplished in one night what the 40 million dollar renourishment program is taking months to do. What a hoot!! Now, I thought about all the excited detectorist hitting the beach with wild expectations of wheelbarrows of loot, only to find sand and more sand.
At 6:30 I eased into the surf. The sandbar was breaking the waves nicely and making it workable. My first target was a silver ring. Green coins started to find their way into my pouch. And finally I heard that nice wholesome, I am not a pulltab, sound. Out comes a class ring. My first gold ring in ten days of hunting the surf and beach.

The waves grew large and ran me out. I tried the upper beach but could only wrestle up a few coins.
Here is the 14K class ring. 9.1 grams. So Hanna gave me a hole in the surf and massively sanded in the beach. I know where I will be this evening.
Chalk up another storm that added sand rather than took it away.

No comments: