Thursday, December 4, 2008

Ring Daddy #112....a five minute ring

Low tide was 6:06 this morning. I was on the beach at 6:15. 33 degrees and almost no wind. The horizon was rimmed with a chain of clouds, black against red. I turned on the machine and walked a few feet and retrieved my first pulltab. I looked up and down the surf line and nothing looked promising. Oh well, I'm here...and not in some cube. The ocean was mellow, a few soft waves lazily pushing ashore. I waded into the ankle deep water and get a foil signal. I am sure it is foil because it is at the low tide line, a lightweight target that floats around. I dig it and shake the scoop. All of the sand runs out. What the..... Even in the predawn darkness I can see it is a gold ring. Totally unbelievable. I left the car less than five minutes ago.

Only once before have I ever had a ring in an empty scoop. Always, always there are shells in the scoop.


This is the type of gold ring that I think gets moved around in the surf or on the beach. It is lightweight and has a large surface area. I feel extremely lucky to have gotten this one.

So now I am hunting the filled in, ankle deep water. After an hour I have one more pulltab. I watch the sun poke an orange hole in the clouds and then take flight.

There are no holes in the surf this morning.

I moved up on the beach and found a few more pulltabs, coins and a couple of small pieces of jewelry. Here is two plus hours, most of it in the surf.



Time to celebrate at McDonalds. I'll get the two for three bucks and a senior coffee.


2 comments:

David Lemley said...

I just love it when I can find a gold ring in the first few minutes of the hunt. Congratulations Jim

Mental Notez said...

Beautiful ring!! Great find! Oh I want to be a treasure hunter! LOL
Have an awesome week!
I love reading your blog!