Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Sun, Fog, Rain, Sun, Fog, Rain...and some gold...

I've been a bit under the weather and I contemplated not going out this morning...but in the end I put my wetsuit on and headed out the door. It rained last night and was foggy this morning, kind of warm, low 60's early this morning.

The beach looked horribly flat when I stepped onto the upper sand. And the flatness ran into the surf. I spent the first hour wading around in search of a hole and ended up with two pieces of foil.

The wind and low tides have reached up and taken some sand from the top and sloughed it off into the low tide area and the surf. The extra low tides the next few days may do more of the same.

At the beginning of the second hour I abandoned the surf and headed higher on the beach. A few targets started to show. I finally found a line and kept beating on the door. It began to rain. Then within ten minutes the sun came out. I was burning up in my wetsuit.

The temperature was headed for 70. Then the fog came back in and I couldn't see a hundred yards.

A fake sparkler ring popped up and then a few targets later a mid tone came into the headphones...not exactly a pulltab sound. As I lifted the sunspot scoop I could see the gold bracelet. I plucked it from the sand, not wanting to damage it with the scoop. 24.2 grams. 14K.



Quite a few targets on the upper wet beach. $1.94 in change. Those Canadian dimes sure give a crummy signal.


Tomorrow I will carry the wetsuit in the VW and swing the upper beach first. If I see a hole I will change into the wetsuit. Changing into a wetsuit in the VW will be challenging.

I've changed in a Geo Metro before...but low tide was almost over and the windows were all fogged up. I glad the police didn't show up.

No comments: