Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Verification Day and Gold

Yesterday was verification day. First I stopped in the coin shop. Yep, the 1911 $5 gold coin is real. Eeeeeedoggie!!! The coin guy was kind of mystified by the stain on the coin where the clasp is from the bezel. He considered the coin damaged because of this stain. I will not try to clean it until I am sure I won't bugger it up.






Next, I went to the mall to Reeds Jewelers and the nice lady put the diamond tester on the man's ring I found last week. "Yep, it's real," she said, "Nice find." She eyeballed the diamond and said it was about 3/4 of a carat. Dear Santa, I need a carat gauge and a jewelers loupe. :)



Then as low tide time approached I made a radical departure from my norm. The thirty mile an hour wind out of the SW influenced my decision to hunt the "beach". It has been ages since I hunted the beach....but I thought maybe the wind would move some sand and I might end up with something in the wet sand area.

Well, I did not get a gold ring. But I was not disappointed either.
It was definitely a hunt. I would swing for a quarter mile without a beep and then I would get quite a few targets together. Three hours gave me a gold ear ring, a silver ring and a silver chain.



Here is the ear ring. As you can see it is fairly heavy...heavier than quite a few of the gold rings I've found this year.


I threw the silver chain and ring in the tumbler.

Just after dark I broke out the binoculars and Diana and I viewed the Moon, Venus and Jupiter all dancing in the sky together. "It looks like a diamond," said Diana. I had to agree that Venus was a sparkling jewel. The sky was crystal clear and the crescent moon's craters seemed so close you could touch them.
The moon, Venus and Jupiter will be visible together the next few nights. Enjoy!

No comments: