Friday, November 14, 2008

Gators and Ring Daddy #104, 105 and 106.....

Wednesday, Diana and I headed for Sunset Beach...really Bird Island. Diana hunted shells and I hunted with the detector. She had a huge bag of shells and I got a nickle and a penny. On the way back to MB, as we were passing a golf course, Diana says, "I think I just saw an alligator." I spun the VW around and parked. I got two pictures before some golfers scared the gator into the pond.


Can't we all just get along?? I love this pic of the golfer, gator and turtles.




"Whoa, that's a pretty good size gator." This guy is hurrying to the next hole.



I don't think I would go after the golf ball just to the left of the gator.


Yesterday I hunted or was going to hunt just north of the 14th Street Pier but part of it was blocked off for the renourishment program...where my hole was. I knew of a another hole to the north and headed there. Dick, one of the guys down for the winter, was in that hole. He and I talked and he told me about a huge gold military ring he got out of the hole the day before. Grrrr.

I headed north and found another hole about the size of a cadillac and did OK for about an hours worth of detecting.


Today I headed for the same spot. I got two silver rings out of it before it dried up. Another detectorist, Chuck, stopped to chat. He was having no luck on the beach. I told him about the two silver rings and then he headed north.


I moved to the next hole to the north and found a nice waist deep hole. The waves were not too bad today; very tolerable. Soon I heard a foil sound and visualized a gold ring. A few shakes of the scoop and I was looking at Ring Daddy #104.


Then the very next signal sounded funky. Hmmmm. As I dug through the shells I spied a dime and a gold ring right next to each other. What an itty bitty ring!! Half a gram!! If the gold ring would not have been next to the dime there is a good chance I would have turned the scoop over and never knew that there was a gold ring.


I worked the hole from the deepest point out and finally ran onto this really nice heavy wedding band. Yeah Baby!!!!


Here is todays mess. $3.01 in change. Quite a few sinkers today. Also, a Watkins Glen lighter.

One of the silver rings was heavily encrusted so I threw them in the tumbler with the silver clad coins and Voila!!


Ask me if I am excited about tomorrow!!! Eeehaaaa!!!!!!

3 comments:

TSL said...

I love your blog, it was a great read, and incredible what you come up with. My family found some wonderful old items from a tabby house ruin on the coast of SC. Best wishes on that great find.

Mental Notez said...

I love looking at the pictures of your treasures and reading your stories!! What a wonderful way to spend some time...dreaming of treasure hunting! :O)

David Lemley said...

Some real nice shots of the gator Jim and I love reading your post keep up the good work