Friday, November 7, 2008

Ring Daddy #99 and I need a ladder......

Well, today was one of those jerk Jim around days. I got up early and wrote on my Surf Hunting book and it went well. I thought of all the thousands of readers who will buy my book and was in a pretty good mood. After I got my wetsuit on I could not find my car keys. After twenty minutes of looking and knowing that each minute was cutting into my detecting time I found my spare key and took off. I knew there was going to be a problem when I got there, the spare key will not open the hatch on the back of the VW. I somehow wiggled my Sunspot scoop out of the back and over the back seat. At last I was off and running. The beach looked strangely different this morning...steep. I could not tell if it brought more sand in or took some out but it was very different from a few days ago. I waded in and found the deepest part of the hole, about chest deep and got a few targets. That was encouraging, last time I got nothing in this area. I waded south hoping to find a little deeper hole. God smiled at the request. Suddenly I was chin deep and there were targets everywhere. But I did not have my weight belt. It is behind the back seat. With a shorty and a farmer john wetsuit on I was too buoyant. Buoyant Boy. I would wait to place my scoop between waves and try to push it in the sand and shells. Then I would float off the scoop with the next wave. Almost all the targets were one scoopers but just getting the one scoop was a challenge. Silver rings started to show up. Then a junker ring. So four rings and no gold. I had a couple of nice sounding signals but I could not push the scoop deep enough to retrieve them. As the tide started to come in I was standing on the scoop to keep my head above the waves. If my scoop handle was longer and I had some rungs nailed on it I could work even deeper water.

Where is the police department to tell me to get the heck out of the water?!


Finally I headed for shallower water and had pretty much given it up for the day. As I got to the steep beach I got a foil sound...and it was a really nice piece of foil. I swung a couple of times and got another foil sound, a twin of the first one. I dug it, knowing it was foil, but also knowing that foil sounds can be gold rings. Suddenly it was Christmas. That's what I was looking for.
$3.23 in change. If I would have had my weight belt I could have gotten quite a few more targets or drown.
The five little pieces of metal behind the gold ring was a junk ring before I washed it. So, three silver rings, one junker and one gold. Not bad. I just wonder where the heck my keys are.
It shouldn't be too hard to screw some rungs onto my scoop handle.

No comments: