Friday, July 11, 2008

Another Swell Morning

Hurricane Bertha is making my treasure hunting life miserable. The swells this morning punished me the whole three hours I was in the surf. Every target was a lesson in patience. How much patience do you have?? There were quite a few targets but each one took ages to retrieve. First you had to wait for the incoming wave to go by. It bashes you and then you hurry to put the scoop in position. Then you wait until another wave goes by. It sometimes moves you. You get repositioned. Eventually you have a short lull between wave beatings and you try to push the scoop into the shells. Of course the scoop is centered on top of a large shell and you go nowhere. You try to force it but it won't budge. You reposition the scoop while getting more of a good old fashioned surf beating. Soon you have pushed the scoop deep enough to get the target...but no the target is still in the hole. Another scoop. Still there. I have been blasted by three or four more large waves while this is taking place. My headphones get knocked off or flipped around in front of my face. People on shore pity the idiot in the waves with the metal detector. I begin to sing the "I am an idiot" song. Finally the target is not in the hole. I shake out the scoop while being blasted by small tsunamis. The target is not in the scoop. You hunt it down and try again. Eventually you have the penny in the scoop and you rejoice. There isn't anything I
know that is like surf hunting. Here is the picture of the mess. The truck with the missing back wheels is symbolic of where America is at with its $5 a gallon for diesel fuel. The broken beer bottle that a wave dropped on the shore is also a sign of the people who could care less about our beaches.










Here is the picture of the diamond ring.

Someday soon the swells will die and I will be thankful for a less than swell day. Have a great day!!! Foiled Again Jim

3 comments:

Media said...

Great Blog Jim,

What kind of rig ya using? Saw you use a 12" Sunray coil, is it on an Excal?

HH

GaBeachSweeper said...

Like the Blog.
How do I get my own?
Closest I know is our forums.

David Lemley said...

Nice Blog Jim
and congratulations on your gold rings this year.
David From Suffolk