Saturday, July 12, 2008

Introduction to Hunting the Surf

I'm Jim Brouwer. I just turned 56 a few days ago. I have lived at Myrtle Beach for about a year and a half. I have been metal detecting the beach and surf for approximately eight years.

This past winter, Jan., Feb. and March, I hunted the beach and found zero gold rings. Three months of hard swinging in cold, windy, sometimes miserable conditions.

In April of this year I started hunting the surf. This is not new to me. I have hunted the surf many times in the past but always felt it was a tradeoff. On the beach you can cover a lot more square footage with a metal detector, especially with a 12" Sunray coil, than you can cover in the water. And water detecting is hard work...really, really hard work.

In reviewing last year April was my best month with 12 gold rings. Most of the months last year I averaged about five gold rings.

In April of this year I started to seriously hunt the surf at Myrtle Beach. The water was cold and I used a wet suit for all of April and part of May. I hate my wetsuit. Every year it get smaller.

In April I found 15 gold rings, May I got 17 and in June I found 22 gold rings. It becomes obvious why I have traded in the beach for the surf.

I am posting my finds on http://www.thetreasuredepot.com/ Surf and Sand forum.


Below is the 9K gold ring I found this morning.





No comments: