Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The one that got away....

It was indeed a strange day at the Lost Key Motel. My third target of the day sounded deep and on the third scoop the signal disappeared from the hole. As the scoop neared the surface I could see a beautiful very thin gold bracelet in the shells. As the scoop came out of the water the gold bracelet slithered out of one of the holes and dropped into the ocean. Well, it can't go anywhere and even though I can't see it in three foot of water I am confident I will be able to retrieve it. I'm already thinking what a great day this is going to be. I swing the detector near my feet where the bracelet fell. No response. Hmmm. I know, I'll put it in pinpoint. Sure enough I get a signal. I don't dig down too far because I know it is near the surface. The signal is still there. I dig deeper and the signal is still there. Now what?!!! Dadgum, maybe this is another signal. I dig the deep signal and a large oval fishing weight shows up in the scoop. I can't seem to get that bracelet back. I switch back and forth between discrimination and pinpoint and cannot find the bracelet. I spend the next fifteen minutes combing the area. Now, was the gold bracelet the original signal or did the bracelet just get in the way and end up in my scoop? So....I lost the only gold of the day.

Not a real productive day, only 51 targets in three and a half hours. Most of the targets seemed deep; at least two scoopers. $5.15 in change. Now here is another weird point. No jewelry. No junk rings, no ear rings. Nothing. Tomorrow, I will hit someplace else to start with.
Of course you know that the gold bracelet will get bigger with time and soon be a necklace and that the links will grow into platinum tire chain links with enough telling. How does that happen??

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sorry you lost the bracelet , maybe another time