Saturday, August 9, 2008

A new record for me......

New Record for…..

Jellyfish stings yesterday morning; four. One ran into my massive biceps and then my hand. Well, maybe not massive. The jellyfish was small and quite beautiful; a small clear bubble about the size of my fist with short tentacles. I pushed him gently away with my scoop. After all, it was only doing what jellyfish were meant to do; sting people. Later on, in separate incidents, I was stung on the calf and the back of the leg. Of course, when you are involved in finding gold, little of this has any meaning. You simply continue swinging with a gruesome look on your face.
People are never sure if you have been jellyfish stung or whether the last wave that head slapped you makes you look this way.
Eventually the pain blends with all the other pains you have and your face mellows to slightly contorted, until you are stung again or the stainless steel scoop bangs into your shin or from the sharp auger shell that is embedded in the bottom of your foot or the cuts from the can slaw that you dug at twenty inches and then once more your face becomes hideous…oops, that should be gruesome.
Someone told me jellyfish numbers are on the increase because of the myth of global warming.
I've never seen so many people stung until recently. Some people get all over dramatic and have to be carried from the water. This is quite something to see considering the size of people now days.
It is dangerous out there. I found a piece of metal crap with two sharp rusted prongs on it and put it in my nail pouch. When I bent over to scoop, one of the prongs went thru the pouch and stabbed me in the abs....uh stomach. I don't know if it penetrated my skin but my jaw feels funny.
Found about a dollar and a half and thought of going to McDonalds for breakfast. I didn't know if I had quite enough for a biscuit and a senior coffee. Then I thought maybe I should go home and wait for the lockjaw to set in. Lockjaw is a private thing.

No comments: