Monday, August 25, 2008

Ring Daddy #80 and a new water hunter...

David Toller, a resident of MB, is putting together the 2009 Treasure Expo and Trade Show on April 4th and 5th. This morning we got together to plunder the waves. David had never surf hunted and wanted me to show him the finer points of being beat to death in the waves. We hit McDonalds and off we went. I showed him where the free parking was. As we parked the sky was black and looked like it would pour rain any minute. So I didn't put sunscreen on or take my sunglasses. This will always bring the sun out. Off we go into the waves.
David said, "There's something wrong with my detector. It is signaling each wave."
"Yep, PI's will do that. Turn down the sensitivity."
David was reluctant but he did and the wave signals went away.

We waded around for sometime before I found a bottlecap. "Here," I said, "Try to dig this." David had a new scoop. He would get set up and a wave would move him. He finally got some sand out and then some more and then some more and...well you get the idea. His eyes were starting to roll back in his head. "I don't think this surf hunting is for me," he said. He rested a bit and then went at it again. I hunted about an acre and then saw him smile as he pulled out the bottlecap.

Eventually we got into a small zone that ran parallel with the low tide line and started getting some targets. David got a couple of pieces of costume jewelry and some coins and I could tell he was getting much better at retreiving the targets.

I found a silver ring and he seemed impressed. Then he dug a mood ring at about a foot. His first ring in the surf. Then I found a silver ear ring and then I got the gold ring.

Here is my mess. Not a lot of targets but at least one gold ring showed up. Oh yeah, I got a Canadian dollar coin. That helped my coin total.

The can was at 32 scoops down.....well maybe not that deep, but close.
The sun finally retreated behind some dark clouds and it began to rain.
David said, "It's raining, I don't want to get wet."

I am always thankful when a gold ring shows in the scoop.


David kind of summed it up as he limped back the car, "It's a lot more work but a lot more rewarding."

"What's wrong with your foot?"

"I cut it with my scoop."

"Usually when I do that the sharks come, so I get out of the water."

"I didn't realize I did it till we got out of the water."

I said, "Well you really didn't get a good day. Most days you get jellyfish stung and and smashed into the bottom." I'm not sure if he realized I was serious.

Here is a link to the 2009 Treasure Expo and Trade Show in Myrtle Beach


Also, David said he hoped to have his website up and running in a couple of days.


No comments: